Gatlinburg, TN is a typical little mountain town but what they have to offer visitors to the area is anything but ‘little.’ With shopping lining both sides of the Parkway, attractions at every corner, you can visit Gatlinburg and never leave the mountain. Nestled right against the Smoky Mountains and the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Gatlinburg beauty only slightly surpasses its adventure.
Though the Cherokee hunted in the flats around the present day city of Gatlinburg, the first European settlers to the area came due to South Carolina native William Ogle. Though Ogle never lived in the area for very long his relatives did end up coming to the area and settling in the Cartertown area of Gatlinburg. 1856 saw the first post office being formed in the Radford Gatlin general store. Though the people of the area didn’t care for Gatlin they liked his name and kept it after they ran Gatlin out of town.
The logging industry in the late 1800s kept the town going but the real boon for the town was when the Great Smoky Mountains National Park was founded. The National Park being located on the boundary of the Gatlinburg brings millions of visitors through the town each year, this has made Gatlinburg a central location for people visiting the Smokies.
- 3,382 (as of 2000)
- 1,289’ (average altitude)
- 35°43′19″N 83°29′58″W
- Sevier County
Most Recent Posts
- Ripley’s Aquarium of the Smokies - When Ripley’s announced they were going to put an aquarium in Gatlinburg, there were two questions that everybody asked: Where? & When? Well, they built it in the center of town, right off River Road at traffic light 5. It is impossible to miss this complex that has become as much a part of the … Continue reading "Ripley’s Aquarium of the Smokies"
- Gatlinburg, TN - Gatlinburg, TN is a typical little mountain town but what they have to offer visitors to the area is anything but ‘little.’ With shopping lining both sides of the Parkway, attractions at every corner, you can visit Gatlinburg and never leave the mountain. Nestled right against the Smoky Mountains and the Great Smoky Mountains National … Continue reading "Gatlinburg, TN"
- Lodge at Buckberry Creek Restaurant - Fine Dining in the Smokies Recently, on an anniversary date with my wife, we decided to try something new: the restaurant at the Lodge at Buckberry Creek. This establishment had been recommended to us by friends and they told us that it was the best dining experience in the Smokies. I have lived here since … Continue reading "Lodge at Buckberry Creek Restaurant"
- Ober Gatlinburg Set to Open Friday for Snow Tubing - *Ober Gatlinburg is scheduled to open their snow tubing park Friday, November 16th, 2012. The idea that good skiing can only be found in the northeast or out west has been debunked by places like Ober Gatlinburg in the recent years. With the number of great changes every year to the current resort, things look … Continue reading "Ober Gatlinburg Set to Open Friday for Snow Tubing"
- Arrowmont - Gatlinburg’s Arrowmont truly is a school of art education set against one of most ideal artistic backdrops – the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Arrowmont’s school of arts and crafts is a tool for anyone to make use of who wants to expand their art education. One- and two-week courses highlight the curriculum and artists the world … Continue reading "Arrowmont"
- Sweet Fanny Adams Theatre - Quicksilver Nonsense! Are you looking for the oldest live show on the Tennessee side of the Smokies? Look no further than Sweet Fanny Adams Theatre (SFAT)! Since 1977, they have been producing and staging brand new works of musical comedy, year after year after year. They are located in one of the most intimate venues … Continue reading "Sweet Fanny Adams Theatre"
- Gatlinburg Trail - 1.9 miles in length Starting Points – Sugarlands Visitors Center or River Road in Gatlinburg near traffic light 10 Points of Interest – Footbridge over the West Prong of the Little Pigeon River & CCC homesites Difficulty – 1 Are you looking for an easy trail? Are you wanting to hike but not end up … Continue reading "Gatlinburg Trail"
- Christ in the Smokies - One of the perennial attraction sin Gatlinburg, for years, was Christus Gardens. Several years ago, Christus Gardens closed and it was thought that the location where it had been for years, was going to become a set of condominiums. Well, that deal fell through and the management team of Christus Gardens opened a new attraction: … Continue reading "Christ in the Smokies"
- Newfound Gap Road Re-Opens Early Following January Landslide - Newfound Gap Road (U.S. 441) which runs from Gatlinburg to Cherokee, NC reopened Monday, April 15 2013 following a three month closure. The road was closed due to a January landslide that washed away a 200-foot section of pavement. Work on the road was actually completed a month ahead of time, and as a reward for … Continue reading "Newfound Gap Road Re-Opens Early Following January Landslide"
- Gatlinburg Golf Course - Best Municipal Golf Course in all 50 States – Golf Digest With all the majestic beauty surrounding you when you visit the Smokies, it is no wonder that people choose to come to the area to spend some time on a golf course. The majestic sweep of the mountains draw the eye to the beautiful … Continue reading "Gatlinburg Golf Course"