Throughout America, there are attractions that you can only see as you drive through an area. Some are off the beaten path, some are right in the middle of town, but they all have something in common – they are a piece of Americana called the Roadside Attraction. They also call to some part of ourselves that wants to see the unusual, the strange and the unique. In the Smokies we are talking about mysterious places, odd amusements and the random historical monument.
- Wheels Through Time Museum - Wonder how we got to the point of everyone having their own form of transportation, whether it is a car, a truck or a motorcycle? Well, then you might want to step into the Wheels Through Time Museum in beautiful Maggie Valley, NC. Celebrating all the ways that we get around and of course focusing … Continue reading "Wheels Through Time Museum"
- Little River Railroad Museum - Venture over to Townsend and check out one of the hidden gems of the Smokies – the Little River Railroad and Lumber Company. The early history of the Smoky Mountains is on full display at the museum as visitors can come face to face to the inventive, industrious spirit of those early Smoky Mountain settlers. … Continue reading "Little River Railroad Museum"
- Teepees in Cherokee - I remember as a child, when we were vacationing in the Smokies, the signs in Cherokee, NC advertising “real live indians” always intrigued me. Now that I am an adult, I realize that at that time, the people of Cherokee were giving the people that visited the mountains what they expected. They were giving the … Continue reading "Teepees in Cherokee"
- Forbidden Caverns - If you’re looking to cool off in Sevierville, head underground…. Seriously. The Forbidden Caverns, one of the most well-known Sevierville attractions, keeps a temperature of 58 degrees throughout the year and can be a great respite for families, or just yourself, if you’re driving through Sevierville to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Pigeon Forge, … Continue reading "Forbidden Caverns"
- Carver’s Orchard - If you ever find yourself in Cosby, Tn, make sure you ask the locals about a little place called Carver’s Orchard. There, you’ll not only find the orchard, you’ll also find a farmer’s market and a restaurant at Carver’s that boasts one of the best fried apple pies in East Tennessee. Carver’s Orchard is a … Continue reading "Carver’s Orchard"
- Mystery Hill - A Great Place to Visit I love a good roadside attraction and Mystery Hill in Blowing Rock, NC is one of the best that you will find in the Smokies. It is on the side of the road before you get to Blowing Rock proper and if you are looking for a fun activity for … Continue reading "Mystery Hill"