Blowing Rock may be the first tourist town in the Smokies. After people got word of the beautiful area, this became a vacation spot with people camping, just to spend time in the mountains. Now, Blowing Rock is the one of the premier resort cities on the North Carolina side of the Smokies. Shopping, art galleries, culture, great food and skiing give you more than enough reasons to make Blowing Rock a stop on your mountain vacation.
The Cherokee called this area home until the European settlers came to this area. The Scottish and the Irish felt home in this are at the top of the mountain, in the shadows of the Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains. During the late 19th century, Blowing Rock adopted tourism as their main industry. Hotels began to be built as people touted the healthy atmosphere of the town.
In modern times, with the development of better roads and the introduction of mass produced automobiles, Blowing Rock thrived. People love the history and the legends surrounding the area. The resorts that are around the area bring in thousands of people and the people love to come back year after year.
- 1,418 population
- 3,566 (average altitude)
- 36°7′47″N 81°40′21″W
- Watauga & Caldwell County
Most Recent Posts
- Moses Cone Manor - Whether you call it the Moses Cone Manor, Flat Top Manor, the Moses Cone Memorial Park or the Parkway Craft Center, the former home of Moses Cone that seats along the ridge of the Blue Ridge Mountains is a majestic piece of architecture that has stood the test of time. Moses Cone was a textile entrepreneur that … Continue reading "Moses Cone Manor"
- Mystery Hill - A Great Place to Visit I love a good roadside attraction and Mystery Hill in Blowing Rock, NC is one of the best that you will find in the Smokies. It is on the side of the road before you get to Blowing Rock proper and if you are looking for a fun activity for … Continue reading "Mystery Hill"
- Tweetsie Railroad - You know, Dollywood isn’t the only theme park in the Smoky Mountains. A quick drive east in the charming mountain town of Blowing Rock, NC, you’ll find Tweetsie Railroad – one of the most original Wild West attractions in the nation. Since the 1950s, Tweetsie’s famous steam engine, No. 12, has taken park-goers on the … Continue reading "Tweetsie Railroad"
- Blowing Rock, NC - Blowing Rock may be the first tourist town in the Smokies. After people got word of the beautiful area, this became a vacation spot with people camping, just to spend time in the mountains. Now, Blowing Rock is the one of the premier resort cities on the North Carolina side of the Smokies. Shopping, art … Continue reading "Blowing Rock, NC"